From Hong Kong to Tampere


Hi! I am Katy. I come from Hong Kong. I am studying Education both in Hong Kong and Finland. My major subject in my home institution is Chinese, and minor subject is General Studies. I chose Finland because Finland’s educational system is very famous in the world. Actually, Finland is a nice place for traveling also =]. That’s why I chose Finland for exchange.

I just took three courses here. They are Web Publishing, Finnish language and Introduction to Russian Studies. If I compare studying in Hong Kong and Tampere, I think studying in Tampere is so free. It is because my home institution has a lot of rules which you must follow it, such as attendance and time. Anyway, there are some similar things, such as arrangement of your timetable and mode of studying.

I think the best thing here is that everyone is so helpful and nice! On the other hand, I feel so confused on choosing some food for lunch. I always take some extra food for my lunch carelessly and I’m charged extra money for the lunch. If there is some notice for English it is much better. In addition, Finland is a really nice place and all Finns are very friendly and helpful. Besides, the weather of Finland is not used to face easily. It is really cold and rainy. However, I am so looking forward to see snow here =]

-Katy Yeung




It is amazing that I have been here for two months already. Who am I? I am an exchange student from The Hong Kong Institute of Education (in short form, HKIED) now I am studying in the University of Tampere in Finland. At my home university, which is the biggest teacher- provider in Hong Kong, I study in Mathematics and General Studies. After I graduate, I will become a teacher in primary school. Therefore, we have to enroll in some courses about teaching method and participate in the teaching practice project in the HKIED.

Regarding to the courses I have in UTA, different faculties offer a good selection of courses. I choose courses depending on my preference; take Differential Equations as an example. It is offered by Mathematics Department, and maths is my be-loved major subject at my home university. It’s very nice that I can continue to learn Maths here. In addition, I have a chance to study some courses that I have never learned, like Introduction of Russian Studies. After I was form 4 in secondary school, I have never studied in any history course. So this is a gold-opportunity to know more about culture and history of Russia. Thanks to the courses I take, not only enrich my knowledge but also let me learn happily.

My life-style in Finland is quite different from Hong Kong’s. I often eat salad, potato and chicken. I have enough time to have a sauna and do exercise every week. I realize I become much healthier than before. I think nobody will say no to such a fantastic life. Recall my memory; I go to school for study and then I do part-time job after school every week in Hong Kong. I am always too busy to have enough time to sleep and my panda-eyes never leave me. Therefore I must say I am lucky that I have a semester to experience the Finns’ life-style.

After I go back to Hong Kong, I will seek chance to come here again. I love Finland.

-Hilda Wong

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti